Thursday, May 1, 2014

Ladybug #2

About 2:00, we headed downstairs and found another surprise, a yellow ladybug! Since it was still yellow (not so yellow in the pics), it means it was fairly newly hatched.
 So, he or she hatched from a different pupa on the side of this habitat, but for some reason, he was attacking this one over here. He was biting it and pulling it and it was the weirdest thing I've ever watched, and yes, I did sit and watch for almost 20 minutes. I was totally fascinated...





 He finally left him alone, and as he darkened, you can see spots appearing. This is about 30 minutes later.
 Then his wing got stuck and I watched him struggle to get free for awhile. I was worried he was going to stay stuck, but he eventually pulled hard enough and got away. Seriously, I'm sitting her worrying about and photographing bugs.



 And, about 5pm, here they are! I've been feeding them raisins like the instructions say, but have yet to see them eat anything. They're also not red, but at least they're still alive. I'm hoping they're all hatched by Tuesday so we can release them and I don't have to worry anymore! And still no butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment