Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Releasing the butterflies

With pouring rain yesterday, I was really hoping for a good day today to release our butterflies! I can keep them longer, but I seriously lose sleep at night, and have since the caterpillars arrived, worrying about how I'd tell the kids one died. So, I wanted them out of my house!
We were lucky to have such a beautiful morning, and with rain in the forcast, we didn't wait until the end of the day, like I had planned, for the release. We took them outside with us for outside time instead. It was pretty warm, and as soon as the sun hit them, all 5 opened their wings and soaked it in. It took them awhile to notice I had opened their enclosure, so the release wasn't too exciting at first. The kids crowded around at first, then took off to play. I stayed near it, promising I'd let them know if anything happened.
Finally, one started flying around so I called them over and it took off. It flew circles around our grassy area and the kids chased it, squealing and giggling. It landed several times and they were able to all gather and watch it open and close its wings. Then another one flew out and did the same thing, then they both flew up and out of the yard.
The last 3 came out at the same time, and sent the kids in all directions. One was chasing them through the grapes, while others took off towards another in the garden, and the other landed on the grass. Within a few minutes, they had all left too. The kids just had the best time, chasing them and watching them, and being so close to them. It's rare (at least has been for me) to get up close to a butterfly outside and have it stay long enough for you to watch it, but each of these did just that. So each child got to watch them for awhile before they were gone. What a fun day!


No comments:

Post a Comment