Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Caterpillars and Ladybugs

We're not even doing a bug unit this year, but with all the interest in bugs after Eric Carle week, I decided we had to do the caterpillars again this year. It's just so much fun watching them change! And since 6 of our 9 students saw them last year, I decided to try something new and get ladybugs too! They were delivered last Thursday at 12:30, just 30 minutes after the kiddos went home! So they did a ton of growing and changing over the weekend, but I'll keep you updated here since they only get to see them twice a week at school. Here's how they looked on day 1:
We transferred the ladybug larvae to their new home. The caterpillars stay in their jar until their chrysallides form.
Day 3:






And Day 4:



After having bugs in my kitchen all weekend, I got them a nice little home set up in the preschool. Along with the bugs, I also bought the life cycle models. Since they don't get to hold and handle the bugs, I had to get something they could hold and touch. Since I took the pics, I also added a ladybug life cycle poster and magnifying glasses so they can get a close up view of these awesome larvae!

No comments:

Post a Comment