Saturday, April 19, 2014

Easter

Dramatic Play
I had a hard time thinking of something Easter-related for DP that I had supplies for, so we got out the castle again. They've been asking since Halloween. I had my medieval costumes, like princesses, knights, and a dragon, inside. This was definitely the favorite center of the week!




Art
The first day, we decorated foamie Easter eggs with Easter stickers. They loved this!
The second day, we used potato stamps to make Easter egg pictures. I tried to carve cool designs into the potatoes, and then stamped, they looked like eggs! It was fun.

Small Manips
We played with E is for egg pages and glass beads. They love making patterns with these. There was also a shadow matching game and number puzzles in this Easter pack I downloaded from here.



I found these fun Easter magnets at Dollar Tree that were fun to play with.
We had ABC Easter eggs, where they had to match the capital to the lower case letter, and find the object that went inside. They were great at emptying them out, but when we cleaned up, I made them find the matches and corresponding object and they did awesome working together and finding them all.
Snack
I made rainbow Jello jiggler eggs. They loved peeling apart the colors.

Outside
We played with colored rice in the sensory table. We also just enjoyed the spring warmth! We had bubbles out too and that was a huge hit!

Large Group
Day 1, we read an Easter book, then played a sound matching game with eggs. I filled plastic eggs with different objects, and through shaking and listening, we found their matches.
In small group time, we went back to our feelings theme from last week, and read My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss. I gave them each a piece of paper and a paper cut out person and they got to choose which color from the book matched their mood for the day and paint their picture and person. The original plan had been to peel off the person to leave its mark on the paper, but that didn't work out. For many of them, the person (although I taped it underneath) moved a lot so underneath was not a person outline. For the ones who had a great outline, I didn't get the person off on time! We were cleaning up and trying to leave on time, I forgot to peel the people. I remembered after school, but they had dried and were stuck on. It still worked out fine, and they enjoyed the process and learned the lesson about different moods.

Day 2, we made Easter sculptures. This really tested our creativity, problem solving skills, and small motor skills. They had fun using toothpicks, and different Easter candies and marshmallows to build their sculpture. When it tipped, or fell, they'd have to figure out how to fix it and I saw some great problem solving happen.
We also reviewed patterns with Easter pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment